Who are we?
Valtech is a multi-award winning digital agency with 3000 talented people in 45 beautiful offices across 16 countries. We work with some of the world’s best known brands, from airlines and travel companies, to the leading retailers, luxury brands and automotive and B2B companies. We also have a lasting legacy with the UK Government built over 25 years of transforming the user experience to improve lives. So, whether you are renewing a Blue Badge, booking your next holiday or ordering your Friday night takeaway, we’re at the heart of it.
We transform our clients’ businesses and offer transformative job opportunities for those who join us. We transform by doing across commerce, connected experiences, digital platforms, marketing and more.
We are founding members of the MACH Alliance, whose goal it is to help enterprise organizations navigate the complex modern technology landscape. We aim to guide and show how businesses can benefit from open tech ecosystems that are Microservices based, API-first, Cloud-native SaaS and Headless.
How we deliver?
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
• Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialisation.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
• Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
• Outcome Focus
When driving our projects, we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
You’ll be helping to build data-centric solutions for Valtech’s customers, applying engineering discipline to ensure high quality. Responsible for building data pipelines to bring together information from different source systems - to integrate, consolidate, cleanse and structure data.
This isn’t a backroom role, and you can expect to spend time discussing design approaches and requirements with your colleagues and customers in addition to being engaged in development activities. A data engineer is cloud native and helps building the structures for advanced data analysis use cases.
Skills and Experience:
You’ll have gone through the full project lifecycle – and understand how design decisions play out in production. You will be up to speed with more contemporary data architectures based on open source technologies.
- Experience with varied types of data: tabular, graph, time-series, geospatial, image, etc.
- Practical knowledge of:
- Different types of database – relational; document; graph; columnar; key-value.
- Large scale data processing platforms, typically based on Hadoop / Spark.
- Business intelligence / analytics products or frameworks
- Data visualisation frameworks
- Knowledge of Data processing capabilities in Azure; AWS and GCP (2 out of three)
- Knowledge of data integration technologies
- Knowledge of distributed computing & information security
- Ability to write good quality code in a JVM language like Java or Scala, incorporating disciplines such as Test Driven Development and structured version control; familiarity with Python a bonus.
We’re looking for someone with a maker mentality, who wants to join a company full of diverse, intelligent and talented people. Someone who wants to shake things up and fill their days with problem solving, innovation and phenomenal client projects. Someone who is ready to do the best work of their life…. things they are really and genuinely proud of, with opportunities to travel far and wide, learn every day and to really and truly meet their potential.
Diversity and Inclusion at Valtech
At Valtech, we’re here to engineer experiences that work and reach every single person. To do this, we are proactive about creating workplaces that work for every person at Valtech. Our goal is to create an equitable workplace which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be).
As part of this work, we’re sharing an optional anonymous survey with you after your application. This survey will help us better understand the people who apply to work at Valtech. It'll help us see how different demographics progress through our hiring process, and where we need to make improvements to give them a better chance of succeeding. If you choose to fill it out, all of the information you give us is:
- Voluntary. And we've included a "prefer not to say" option for every question. It'd be helpful if you still fill out the survey even if you choose "prefer not to say" for every question, as it's useful for us to understand & record this. We won't know if you choose to fill this survey in or not.
- Anonymous to Valtech. We can't tie your responses to you and they won't make a difference to the outcome of your application. We'll only use grouped responses for equal opportunities monitoring in our hiring process.
For more information on how we'll use this data, please read our candidate privacy notice.
By filling out the survey, you agree that we can use your responses for the purposes we've mentioned above.