Who are we?
Valtech is more than just a digital agency. Whilst we’ve been transforming our clients’ businesses for over 25 years, we’ve also been working hard to offer transformative job opportunities for our colleagues across the world.
From graduates to seasoned professionals who are experts in their field, Valtech will always be recognised not just for the quality of work we deliver, but for all of the amazing people that make it happen.
We are 4000 talented people in 51 beautiful offices across 18 countries. We work with some of the world’s best known brands from travel to retail, connected experiences to automotive and we don’t just talk about how to get things done, we really transform by doing.
How we deliver?
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
• Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialisation.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
• Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
• Outcome Focus
When driving our projects, we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
You’ll be helping to build data-centric solutions for Valtech’s customers, applying engineering discipline to ensure high quality. This isn’t a backroom role, and you can expect to spend time discussing design approaches and requirements with your colleagues and customers in addition to being engaged in development activities. You’ll be comfortable picking up new technologies as and when the need arises.
- Design, development and operation of data pipelines within a multidisciplinary agile team.
- Analysis of requirements in order to understand the design options.
- Understand and communicate the pros and cons of different technologies and approaches.
- Collaborate with architects and operations engineers to propose and deploy cloud or on-premises infrastructure.
Specialist Skills & Requirements:
You’ll have gone through the full project lifecycle – and understand how design decisions play out in production. You may have worked in traditional data warehousing environments, but you are up to speed with more contemporary data architectures based on open source technologies.
- Experience with varied types of data: tabular, graph, time-series, geospatial, image, etc.
- Different types of database – relational; document; graph; columnar; key-value.
- Large scale data processing platforms, typically based on Hadoop / Spark.
- Business intelligence / analytics products or frameworks
- Data visualisation frameworks
- Experience of systems deployment and configuration for cloud platforms, including selection of relevant PaaS / SaaS offerings.
- Knowledge of data integration technologies.
- Knowledge of distributed computing & information security
- Ability to write good quality code in a JVM language like Java or Scala, incorporating disciplines such as Test Driven Development and structured version control; familiarity with Python a bonus.
- While you may not have an exclusively agile background, you strive to work to these principles
Diversity and Inclusion at Valtech
At Valtech, we’re here to engineer experiences that work and reach every single person. To do this, we are proactive about creating workplaces that work for every person at Valtech. Our goal is to create an equitable workplace which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be).
As part of this work, we’re sharing an optional anonymous survey with you after your application. This survey will help us better understand the people who apply to work at Valtech. It'll help us see how different demographics progress through our hiring process, and where we need to make improvements to give them a better chance of succeeding. If you choose to fill it out, all of the information you give us is:
- Voluntary. And we've included a "prefer not to say" option for every question. It'd be helpful if you still fill out the survey even if you choose "prefer not to say" for every question, as it's useful for us to understand & record this. We won't know if you choose to fill this survey in or not.
- Anonymous to Valtech. We can't tie your responses to you and they won't make a difference to the outcome of your application. We'll only use grouped responses for equal opportunities monitoring in our hiring process.
For more information on how we'll use this data, please read our candidate privacy notice.
By filling out the survey, you agree that we can use your responses for the purposes we've mentioned above.