Who are we?
Valtech is more than just a digital agency. Whilst we’ve been transforming our clients’ businesses for over 25 years, we’ve also been working hard to offer transformative job opportunities for our colleagues across the world.
We are 4000 talented people in 51 beautiful offices across 18 countries. We work with some of the world’s best known brands from travel to retail, connected experiences to automotive and we don’t just talk about how to get things done, we really transform by doing.
From graduates to seasoned professionals who are experts in their field, Valtech will always be recognised not just for the quality of work we deliver, but for all of the amazing people that make it happen.
We are founding member of the MACH Alliance, whose goal it is to help enterprise organizations navigate the complex modern technology landscape. We aim to guide and show how businesses can benefit from open tech ecosystems that are Microservices based, API-first, Cloud-native SaaS and Headless.
How we deliver?
We take the lead on behalf of our customers to create innovative solutions to their problems. Our culture, philosophy and working practices are geared towards crafting clean and robust code. We have created a developer friendly environment that is geared to producing to solutions that we can be proud of. We value unconventional thinking and challenging industry norms.
There are some fundamental principles to the way that we deliver. While we are pragmatic in our approach to any specific project, if you don’t share these values we are unlikely to be a good fit for you:
• Cross-functional teams
Agile methods have always emphasised the merit of teams with all the skills necessary to delivery on user’s needs. To work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team it helps to be genuinely interested in the work of those in other roles. We value the flexibility to pick up slack across other areas of capability as well as expertise and specialisation.
We find that diverse groups working together come to better solutions. In user testing this approach builds empathy in the team. In design we collaborate to test ideas and develop alternatives. As a team we work together to improve our approach.
• Continuous learning
This applies to product development as it applies to individuals. Our projects are designed to engage with uncertainty creating opportunities to learn. We use experiments, prototypes and hypotheses to learn about user behaviour, design algorithms and select technologies. Our communities of practice provide a space for us to improve and learn from peers. While as individuals a personal training budget enables opportunity to grow and develop.
• Outcome Focus
When driving our projects, we focus on outcomes. Knowing how a project will be deemed a success by users and customers enables creativity and innovation.
Specialist Skills & Requirements:
As a Java Technical Lead you will be responsible for coaching, mentoring and enabling teams to successfully deliver software across a range of different problem domains. You will leverage your technical excellence to help establish strong working relationships both internally and within the organisations of our customers.
You will be able to adapt to a quickly changing environment, whether that be being hands on one day, pairing with, supporting and getting the most out of other developers, or translating business requirements into a technical model. You should be able to seek out opportunity and use your autonomy to help drive the best outcomes for Valtech and our customers.
As a consultancy we work on a range of projects:
- Digital (Web) / Big Data / Platform projects
- Projects in the Composable Commerce and MACH space
- Full Lifecyle development projects from discovery / inception phase through to delivery
- Cutting edge technologies with cross functional teams
As a Java Lead within our organisation you will be facing interesting questions about the implementation of large-scale software systems that need to handle daily challenges of scaling, resilience and performance.
As a consultant you are expected to develop expertise both in technology and the means to communicate complex concepts and rationale to non-techies. We’ll encourage and support this with frequent opportunities to share ideas internally. We also have consultants frequently deliver at regional, national and global conferences.
Being effective in software delivery isn’t all about the code, you will also be:
- Participating in workshops to help identify and refine user requirements
- Writing acceptance tests and understanding Behaviour Driven Development principles
- Developing responsive web applications and familiarity with the challenges involved
- Team development in integrated environments using managed source control systems such as Git.
Key Aspects of the Role:
- You will be a technical leader, programmer, mentor and role model, confident leading and directing a team and liaising with customers
- You will be keen to learn, experiment and innovate with a range of established and new technologies
- The quality of your work is proven by the outcomes it realizes and the capability it gives to the customer, their customers, and the learning it shares with the rest of our organisation
- In this role there is an emphasis on team work and collaboration with all stakeholders on a project both internally and with customers
- You will be a confident facilitator comfortable both listening to and sharing technical ideas.
- The solutions will be full lifecycle projects and your involvement will be central to the success at each phase of the lifecycle.
- Java 8 or higher
- Java web frameworks (E.g. Play, Spring)
- Experience in creation of web services
- Relational and/or NOSQL datastores
- Development practices: pair programming, planning poker, IoC, TDD, BDD
- Software engineering: History of designing and implementing maintainable, scalable software solutions with clean code
- Knowledge of Software / Integration Design Patterns
- Experience with infrastructure and tools (source control, story boards, Wiki)
- Experience of working with cloud technologies, Infrastructure as code and automation techniques.
- Ability to communicate (both verbal and written) with technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to run and lead workshops
- Experience of mentoring, coaching and supporting less experienced colleagues and clients.
Diversity and Inclusion at Valtech
At Valtech, we’re here to engineer experiences that work and reach every single person. To do this, we are proactive about creating workplaces that work for every person at Valtech. Our goal is to create an equitable workplace which gives people from all backgrounds the support they need to thrive, grow and meet their goals (whatever they may be).
As part of this work, we’re sharing an optional anonymous survey with you after your application. This survey will help us better understand the people who apply to work at Valtech. It'll help us see how different demographics progress through our hiring process, and where we need to make improvements to give them a better chance of succeeding. If you choose to fill it out, all of the information you give us is:
- Voluntary. And we've included a "prefer not to say" option for every question. It'd be helpful if you still fill out the survey even if you choose "prefer not to say" for every question, as it's useful for us to understand & record this. We won't know if you choose to fill this survey in or not.
- Anonymous to Valtech. We can't tie your responses to you and they won't make a difference to the outcome of your application. We'll only use grouped responses for equal opportunities monitoring in our hiring process.
For more information on how we'll use this data, please read our candidate privacy notice.
By filling out the survey, you agree that we can use your responses for the purposes we've mentioned above.